Owander has created this privacy statement to explain our commitment to privacy. The following discloses our information gathering and dissemination practices for this site.
Our 100% privacy promise to you: owander is committed to protecting the privacy of our visitors and members. We will never sell, rent or share your personally identifiable information to anyone. You always control your communications preferences. We offer a wide range of Owander Services, and sometimes additional terms may apply. When you use an Owander Service you also will be subject to the guidelines, terms and agreements applicable to that Owander Service.
By using Owander Services, you agree to these conditions. Please read them carefully.
All content included in or made available through any Owander Service, such as text, graphics, logos, button icons, images and digital downloads is the property of Owander or its content suppliers and protected by Nigerian and international copyright laws. The compilation of all content included in or made available through any Owander Service is the exclusive property of Owander and protected by Nigerian and international copyright laws.
Also, the copyright in the Work shall belong to the Author or the party that Author cites as the copyright holder. Author shall be solely responsible for filing its copyrights and any other intellectual property with the appropriate governmental body. It is the Author’s responsibility to place a copyright notice on the copyright page or some other prominent place in the Work.
Formats of Digital Conversions. Author shall submit their Work as a Microsoft Word .doc or pdf file. Owander might convert the book into multiple ebook formats, and publish the work for use in sampling, distributing and selling the work.
Royalties. So long as the proper copyright protection subsists in the Work, no infringement notices have been filed, and revenues directly attributable to the Work are being collected by Owander, the Author and/or publishing party shall be entitled to the following payments:
Royalty Rates. The proceeds to the author or publisher will vary based on the sales outlet, and the method of the sale. For retail sales that originate at Owander.com, Owander pays authors/publishers 75% of the net proceeds from all sales. Following the introduction of the Owander Affiliate Marketing Program on March 22, 2017, Owander began offering a net earnings-share rate of 70% for sales originating as a result of an affiliate. Authors/Publishers who do not wish to participate in the affiliate program may opt out a book at any time within 30 days of publishing the book. After the 30-day grace period, opt-outs become effective on the first day of the following month. Starting in September 2017, Owanderwill soon began distributing of books via major online retailers. In most instances, Owander will compensate authors at a rate of 60% list price, which works out to slightly more than 75% of the net proceeds received by Owander from the retailers. Owander will notify authors of the individual compensation rate they will receive from Owander for sales at each major channel partner with the Channel Manager, and will give authors/publishers the option to opt out of certain channel partners if they wish. Also see the Owander FAQ for current earnings-share rates, which are subject to change.
Electronic Editions. Owander agrees to pay the Author or Publisher (whomever uploaded the content) up to seventy five percent (75%) of net proceeds received by Owander through the sale or licensing of your work (“List Price”). “Net proceeds” shall mean sales price paid and received less payment processing fees, affiliate fees, retailer discounts, and costs due to erroneous or fraudulent transactions, credit card charge-backs and associated fees. Therefore, 70% of “net proceeds” does not equal 70% of the book’s sales price. Payment processing fees, for example, may account for a sizable percentage of the List Price for lower cost books because they include a nominal minimum per-transaction fee ranging charged to Owander by our payment processing service PayPal. For example, if the per-transaction fee charged by our payment processor is $.25, and a book is only priced at $1.00, then that $.25 accounts for 25 percent of the retail price. Owander fully discloses and estimates anticipated payment processing fees and estimated proceeds to the Author at the time you assign pricing for your works (to test this, sign in to your account and click to the Publish It page and experiment with different pricing scenarios). Actual proceeds to the author may be greater than estimated if a customer purchases multiple books at the same time, thereby spreading some of the per-transaction fee across more than one book.
Free Copies. As administrator of your work, Author may use the Owander platform to distribute complimentary copies of the work, or personally email free files to people, even when you are generally charging a fee. However, Owander files cannot be mass-distributed via download at blogs, websites or other retailers outside the Owander network.
Promotional Rights. Owander shall have the right to distribute samples of the Work in any form of media, including printed media, in order to promote (a) the author or author’s Work and/or (b) the Owander service. These samples will be licensed for free, non-commercial use, duplication and sharing, and will comply with the sample percentage authorized by the Author.
Crawlable or Other Searchable Rights. Owander shall have the right to drive traffic to the Author’s Work on the Owander Site through (a) general Search Engine Optimization services (b) crawlable, promotional hypertext links or (c) arrangements with third parties which make searchable certain sample portions of the Work. In the event that revenue is realized by Owander from this arrangement, it shall be treated as an electronic edition under Electronic Editions.
Other Subsidiary Rights. Other than stated above, Owander, in its current version, shall only Publish electronic versions of the Work, and keeps no other subsidiary rights to the Work including hardcover or paperback editions, audio editions, multimedia editions, theatrical editions, first and second serial rights or media rights other than the electronic version distributed on our Site. Therefore, if another publisher will allow you to keep electronic rights to the Work, you may continue to publish the Work electronically while publishing a printed version of the Work with a print publisher. These rules are subject to change from time to time, upon electronic or other notice to the End-users and any other users.
Author-Controlled Terms. The Site allows Author to control pricing, distribution channels, sampling rights and output formats. Owander may extend author control in the future. This advance notice will generally be provided through Site Updates, and to subscribers of author/publisher alerts, and other promotion. Effective May, 2017.
Statements and Payments of Author Royalties:
Although Owander will refer in this agreement to “Royalties” for the sake of simplicity, payments to authors and publishers in the eyes of the IRS are usually considered “other income.” Effective February 2017, Owander pays author (or Author’s Agent) and publisher earnings on a monthly basis, typically between the second and final week of each month, and never later than 40 days following the close of each calendar month. Payments to authors are based on the accrued balance earned as of the last day of each calendar month, and this accrued balance is based on actual payment to Owander by the customer or retailer (please remember that retailers will usually report sales to Owander before those sales become payable to Owander, and therefore before they can accure to the author’s payable balance). Refer to the Owander FAQ item titled GETTING PAID for detailed information on how payments work, and how authors can avoid or troubleshoot payment delays. Authors can track their real-time sales and anticipated earnings payments by visiting the Dashboard feature from their Owander account. From the Payee Page, authors, agents and publishers can select their payment method of paper check (Nigerian authors/publishers only) or PayPal. It is the author’s responsibility to ensure their payment settings are complete and accurate, otherwise payments may be delayed until the issue is resolved and verified. PayPal users, for example, must open and maintain of their own account at PayPal prior to providing their PayPal address to Owander Payment Settings page. If the author selects the PayPal payment method, it is their responsibility to provide a PayPal address that can accept payments. For example, PayPal will not allow Owander to remit payments to PayPal accounts in Nigeria. Paper checks require accrued earnings of $75.00 or more. Prior to February 2017, Owander paid quarterly. For PayPal, the payment threshold is one penny effective January 2017. Previously the PayPal payment threshold was $10.00. If accrued authors, agent’s or publishers aggregate earnings are less than the one penny threshold for PayPal or less than the $75.00 threshold for paper check payments, Owander will delay payment until such monthly period as the total earnings due meet the threshold. If Owander overpays earnings, such as in cases when fraudulent or unauthorized purchases are charged back to Owander after earnings payments are made, then Owander will deduct the funds owed from the author’s, agent’s, or publisher’s aggregate accrued earnings. If the amount owed exceeds the author’s, agents, or publisher’s aggregate accrued earnings, the author (or agent or publisher) agrees to remit a payment back to Owander within 20 days of notification to adjust the overpayment. Sales transacted at the Owander.com web site are reported in real time. Note that most daily sales reports from sales channels are not yet final and are best utilized for trend analysis purposes only.
Author and Publisher Warranties. The warranties and representations contained in this Agreement extend to the Author and its licensees and successors and assigns. By uploading content to Owander, you agree that any violation of the warranties below may result in immediate closure of your account and the forfeiture of accrued earnings.
By submitting Your Work to Owander for publication, you, warrant that you are the author or exclusive publisher or designated author or publisher agent and you warrant and represent that the work (the book) is complete and the author:
- is the only author of the Work;
• is the sole owner of the rights herein granted;
• has not assigned, pledged, or encumbered such rights or have not entered into any agreement which would conflict with the rights granted to Owander herein; and agrees not to do any of the aforementioned without first unpublishing the work at Owander
• has full right, power, and authority to enter into this Agreement and to grant the rights granted herein.
• The content you are uploading to Owander meets the definition of “a book” or a complete short story
You further warrant that the Work contains no materials which:
• violate any right of privacy which is libelous or violate any personal right or other right of any kind of any person or entity (this includes publishing a person’s private email address without their permission);
• would violate any of Your contracts or would disclose any information given to You on the understanding that it would not be published or disclosed;
• plagiarize or pirate any other work or infringe upon any copyright, trademark or other proprietary right;
• Are injurious to End-Users or others including but not limited to recipes, formulae or instructions
• are defamatory to any person or entity
• violate the publicity rights of another person or entity
• violate state and federal laws.
• advocates hateful, discriminatory or racist views or actions toward others
• advocates or condones violence against another person, whether or not the other party is a willing participant
• advocate illegal activities
• advocates the use of Private Label Rights (PLR) content to make money on the Internet, or the modification of such content for the creation of Internet content
• contain images or illustrations depicting individuals perpetrating graphic violence upon another individual or individuals
• Fine art books of a non-erotic nature that contain nudity may be accepted on a case by case basis at the sole discretion of Owander and/or its retail partners
• contain hyperlinks to affiliate marketing pages, especially if the ebook is published for the sole intent of publishing hyperlinked content that directs readers to affiliate marketing pages
• advocate or promote “systems” about how to make money on the Internet by publishing ebooks
• advocate or promote “get-rich-quick” schemes and systems
• contains SEO keyword spam, either in your manuscript or your metadata tags
• contains advertisements for products or services, or is intended to act as an advertising or upselling vehicle for products or services
• contains incomplete information and prompts the reader to access external resources or services that require registration or payment
• is an incomplete book for the purpose of promoting the purchase of the complete book elsewhere or on Owander. Books priced at FREE are held to this same standard.
• makes false, misleading or inaccurate claims or promises in the book or book description
• is not the same book you previously published at Owander, then republished as a new book for the sole purpose of having it appear as a new book again. You must upload all new versions of previously published Owander books via the Dashboard’s “upload new version” link.
You further warrant the book meets the following standards for originality:
• this is not a public domain work;
• the book does not include word-for-word scrapes – or is not a compilation – from Wikipedia or other public domain, government or commercial services;
• your books do not and will not appear elsewhere on the Internet authored by people other than yourself or by pen names (pseudonyms) different from your pen name at Owander;
• you’re not uploading generic, undifferentiated works (such as “101 Household Cleaning Tips”). If it’s not 100% original, or if it looks like PLR, it’s not allowed on Owander.
• does not contain or comprise machine-generated language translations (all translated books must be human-translated and edited, not translated by language translation software such as Google Translate).
You further warrant the book represents a complete work:
• this is not an unfinished work-in-progress;
• the uploaded file is not a partial sample or sample chapter, or is not a collection of sample chapters, or not simply a catalog advertising other books or products
• the work is complete and self-contained, and does not try to upsell the user to purchase, or register for, access to information that should have been contained in the book;
• the title meets the definition of “book” or “story.” Short incomplete ramblings or works that read more like brochures than books are not allowed.
• the uploaded book represents a complete story with a beginning, middle and end. Exception: Serials are allowed. Each serial cover image should be different, even if the only difference is a notation on the cover image about the serial’s position or episode number in the series. To avoid customer confusion, we recommend it should be clearly identified as a serial in the book description.
Accuracy of Payment Settings page information
When you establish your account at Owander, you will complete a Payment Settings page (located under Account: Payment Settings) which collects information to satisfy IRS-mandated tax compliance requirements.
- You acknowledge it is your responsibility to keep your Payments Settings page updated with accurate information.
- You acknowledge that incorrect information may prevent or delay royalty payments.
- You acknowledge it is strictly prohibited to knowingly enter false information when certifying your tax status. Deliberate attempts to subvert IRS rules and regulations – by entering false information to gain preferential tax treaty status or reduced tax withholdings – may lead to immediate account closure and forfeiture of earnings.
In addition, graphics, logos, page headers, button icons, scripts, and service names included in or made available through any Owander Service are trademarks or trade dress of Owander in the Nigeria and other countries. Owander’s trademarks and trade dress may not be used in connection with any product or service that is not Owander’s, in any manner that is likely to cause confusion among customers, or in any manner that disparages or discredits Owander. All other trademarks not owned by Owander that appear in any Owander Service are the property of their respective owners, who may or may not be affiliated with, connected to, or sponsored by Owander.
Customers trust that they can always buy with confidence on Owander. Products offered for sale on Owander must comply with all laws and regulations and with Owander’s policies. The sale of illegal, unsafe, or other restricted products listed on these pages, including products available only by prescription, is strictly prohibited.
If you supply an ebook in violation of the law or any of Owander’s policies, we will take corrective actions, as appropriate, including but not limited to immediately suspending or terminating selling privileges, destroying inventory in our fulfillment centers without reimbursement, returning inventory, and terminating the business relationship. The sale of illegal or unsafe ebooks can also lead to legal action, including civil and criminal penalties.
We are constantly innovating on behalf of our customers and working with regulators, third party experts, vendors, and sellers to improve the ways we detect and prevent illegal and unsafe products from reaching our marketplace. Owander encourages you to report any ebook that violate Owander’s policies or applicable law by contacting us. We will investigate each report thoroughly and take appropriate action.
If you use any Owander Service, you are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account and password and for restricting access to your computer, and you agree to accept responsibility for all activities that occur under your account or password. Owander does sell products for children, but it sells them to adults, who can purchase with a credit card or other permitted payment method. If you are under 18, you may use the Owander Services only with involvement of a parent or guardian.
Non-member Activity – It is not necessary to become a registered member to enjoy some of the content on Owander, although without membership your viewing options and community participation may be limited. For example, without membership you will not be able to purchase books, post reviews, publish material on the site, receive payments for your work, create profile pages, or track your favorite authors.
Owander Member Activity – Owander members are allowed to access all public areas of the site. We store cookies in your browser to help you personalize your use of the site and so you are automatically logged in to the site each time you visit (unless you manually logged out during your last visit). Members can post reviews, purchase books, publish books, and take advantage of the site’s complementary book marketing tools. When you register for the site, our registration form requires a valid email address so we can contact you about your account and respond to your customer service requests. We ask you to create a unique Owander password so we can protect access to your account. We ask for demographic information like zip code and whether you are over or under 18 years of age. We use your zip code to present you with geographically relevant information, and we use age to prevent children from viewing inappropriate adult content. We record several details related to your usage of the site such as reviews you’ve posted, books you’ve published, books you’ve sold, author pages you’ve browsed, books you’ve sampled or purchased, commissions you’ve earned, and books and authors you have favorited. We do not disclose your personally identifiable member information or usage to third parties except when processing purchases, payments, or for fraud and abuse detection. However, any information you voluntarily upload or post to the site, such as books, book reviews or personal profile information, becomes publicly available to other users of the site. When you create a personal profile page, your email address is shielded from visitors.
Owander allows member authors to publish their works under assumed “pen names.” Under no circumstances will Owander reveal the author’s true identity to customers or site visitors.
Authors who wish to sell their works on Owander are required to provide more detailed registration information, such as real name, a postal mailing address, a phone number, and possibly tax ID information to comply with State and local tax codes. Owander will only use this contact information to fulfill our obligations to you, and will not sell or rent your information to third parties.
Owander is not marketed to children. Like any ordinary bookstore, Owander hosts books that may contain adult themes and situations not recommended for children. We take multiple steps to ensure this content is not presented to children. First, we ask a member’s age range at registration. Young adults and children under age 18 are blocked from viewing content that contains adult situations or content deemed to be objectionable to children. We have three means for identifying potentially objectionable material: 1. we allow authors to specify if their works are suitable for children. 2. We allow members to flag works they believe are unsuitable for children. 3. We warn members of potentially objectionable content before they click through to it.
Children, should they wish to join, are allowed to become members. The above online information we collect from children is the same we collect from all members, and will only be used to respond directly to the child’s request and will not be used by Owander for any other purposes without prior parental consent. If Owander learns that a child has posted information that would allow others to personally contact the child, Owander will immediately remove the information.
Advertising on the owander Site:
Although Owander does not currently run advertising, we may run ads in the future. If we run ads, we will do our best to make them unobtrusive, and when possible, informative and targeted to your specific interests. We will never use pop-up or pop-under ads because we think they’re annoying.
Parties other than Owander operate stores, provide services, or sell product lines through the Owander Services. In addition, we provide links to the sites of affiliated companies and certain other businesses. We are not responsible for examining or evaluating, and we do not warrant the offerings of, any of these businesses or individuals or the content of their Web sites. Owander does not assume any responsibility or liability for the actions, product, and content of all these and any other third parties. You should carefully review their privacy statements and other conditions of use.
Once again thank you for reading our policy. We will always ensure to serve you better. For more Information read Frequently Asked Questions
Last Updated: July 6, 2018